Wednesday, August 13, 2008

the job hunt

Today i got a job.

It was strange...yesterday i busied myself out of a job hunt by spending all day on the phone with India(yes, the country) trying to fix my not broken printer...yes, its just a confusing as it sounds.  A quick summary:

Me: My printer won't talk to my computer.
India: I'm going to be honest with you.  Its a better value for you to get a new printer exactly like your old printer with this special phone offer.
Me: Does it have free shipping?
India: No.  That is $11 extra.  Or you can get a printer/fax machine/copier/scanner!
Me: Is that the same price?
India: No, that is $149.99...but shipping is free.

45 minutes later...

India: So what do you want to do? I'm going to be honest with you, i have this same printer at my house and i've never had a problem.
Me: is your warranty out of service like mine?
India: No, i have a three year extended warranty.
Me: Well, there that is...

a half hour later:

Me: Look, i don't have the money for a new printer.  I just moved so i have even less money than normal people. I'm trying to print out my resume so i can get a job.  I DON'T WANT A NEW PRINTER, I JUST WANT A JOB.
India: Do you have a usb cord?
Me: no...
India: I'm going to be honest with you. You get a usb cord and you connect directly to the printer and you print the resume and then you get the job and you can buy as many new printers as you want!
Me: Great!
India: Yes!

then autumn and i went dress shopping (its lovely)
and then there was a birthday thing with homemade indian food(also great)
...then we had to go to bed.

so...i got out of bed today, went out for an hour in the middle of the afternoon, dropped off 5 resumes and the last place i went to(only not the last place i was planning to go to) was reza's, a local mediteranean chain.  I interviewed with the owner, Reza.  He looked at my address and asked:

my age
where i was from
what kind of place my home was (urban or rural)
was i single
am i generally positive person?

he then informed me of his two rules:
1)no matter what happens, leave with a smile on your face.
2)no dating any fellow employee.

got it.

then he said i had a job.  be back at 5 pm monday.

i have another interview tomorrow...just in case...i think it'll be pretty in line with the new chicago life.

there are no bad experiences, only good stories....right?

No comments: